Yay Friday! We are all set for camping this weekend and I'm surprised and very excited that my brother and sister in law are going to join us. We've invited them so many times and my SIL always says she wants to go, but they never do.
Well, they came over last night and Jay supplied them with all the gear they need so we are set to head out this evening. We will get to Zion NP sometime after 8pm so no hiking today. My SIL will decide in the morning if she will hike with us to our next campsite or if they will spend the day around Zion and drive home that night. I really hope she likes it but she did ask me if the ground was going to be hard where we slept. Um, that would be yes.
This will be the boys longest hike/backpacking trip, 3.6 miles to the campsite. We plan to take lots of breaks to check out bugs/flowers/leaves and whatever else. And there is always chocolate to keep them moving. I pack a ton of food and snacks for trips, I do not like to be hungry.
I'm taking my 'big' camera (which means not my 'point and shoot') so I'll be sure to post lots of photos. My biggest problem with hiking with my camera has been holding it. Hiking for a couple hours with a two pound weight in one hand gets old. Walking with the strap around my neck and the camera bouncing along isn't an option. So, on our failed trip up the mountain near my mom's house we came up with a solution that has worked really well so far. The strap goes around my neck but the camera is clipped into hooks on my pack's shoulder straps. Keeps the weight off my neck, the camera doesn't bounce, and I can still get to it to take photos. Needs a little refinement but I love it. I'll try to remember to take a photo of my new set up.
Crap, just remembered the pack I'm taking doesn't have the handy loops to clip to on the shoulder straps. Hmmm. I'll have to MacGyver something.
In Whitney news, we got our dates for the trip and will be starting our hike Friday, September 10. That was one of our first choices of starting dates so I'm very excited. It could have only been better if it was the following weekend. Summiting(sp) Mt. Whitney on our one year wedding anniversary would have been very cool. I'm not complaining though.
Happy Easter!
Well, they came over last night and Jay supplied them with all the gear they need so we are set to head out this evening. We will get to Zion NP sometime after 8pm so no hiking today. My SIL will decide in the morning if she will hike with us to our next campsite or if they will spend the day around Zion and drive home that night. I really hope she likes it but she did ask me if the ground was going to be hard where we slept. Um, that would be yes.
This will be the boys longest hike/backpacking trip, 3.6 miles to the campsite. We plan to take lots of breaks to check out bugs/flowers/leaves and whatever else. And there is always chocolate to keep them moving. I pack a ton of food and snacks for trips, I do not like to be hungry.
I'm taking my 'big' camera (which means not my 'point and shoot') so I'll be sure to post lots of photos. My biggest problem with hiking with my camera has been holding it. Hiking for a couple hours with a two pound weight in one hand gets old. Walking with the strap around my neck and the camera bouncing along isn't an option. So, on our failed trip up the mountain near my mom's house we came up with a solution that has worked really well so far. The strap goes around my neck but the camera is clipped into hooks on my pack's shoulder straps. Keeps the weight off my neck, the camera doesn't bounce, and I can still get to it to take photos. Needs a little refinement but I love it. I'll try to remember to take a photo of my new set up.
Crap, just remembered the pack I'm taking doesn't have the handy loops to clip to on the shoulder straps. Hmmm. I'll have to MacGyver something.
In Whitney news, we got our dates for the trip and will be starting our hike Friday, September 10. That was one of our first choices of starting dates so I'm very excited. It could have only been better if it was the following weekend. Summiting(sp) Mt. Whitney on our one year wedding anniversary would have been very cool. I'm not complaining though.
Happy Easter!



Post a Comment