I ate a jellyfish. Well, to be more truthfull a piece of jellyfish made it into my mouth and then immediatley into a napkin. I'm really not sure why I thought it was a good idea to try and eat it except maybe for revenge. Once upon a time I lived on a small island in the carribean and worked as a SCUBA instructor. If there was a jellyfish within half mile of where we were diving it would find me.

So, it was on the plate and I didn't think to try it when I didn't know what it was simply because it didn't look appetizing. Yet somehow it seemed like the thing to do once I knew what I was looking at. It wasn't the taste that put me off, I'm not even sure what it tasted like it was out of my mouth that fast. The texture was exactly like it should have been and that did it for me. Cold, wet, and rubbery. My friend laughed so hard at the look of panic on my face I thought she was going to wet herself.

Now for what I didn't try, sea cucumber. For those that don't know what they are it is a bit like a slug but two feet long and as big around as a large orange. Know what they feel like? A giant slug. Know what they taste like? I have no idea and never intend to. Know how they get rid of what they ingested? Through their mouth. That's right, one hole for incoming and outgoing food. Eww.

I also did not try the shark fin soup. Not because of how it might taste but because of what it is and how it's harvested. Basically, sharks are caught, their dorsal fins cut off and the sharks are released back into the water to die. They cannot effectivly swim without the dorsal fin so they starve to death. All for some soup.

These are the things that were on the menu for a wedding I went to on Saturday. Based on that info would you believe that I left there completely stuffed? Thankfully the rest of the food was fantastic except the wedding cake which tasted oddly like the red snapper.
Labels:
Kristine
edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment