We are back from a weekend of camping with the boys and about 400 million caterpillars. These things were EVERYWHERE. I'd be walking around the campsite and oh, Hello Mr. Caterpillar on my shoulder, where did you come from? I quickly learned to check my shoes before putting them on, and in our bags, and they were all over the fire pit when we started the fire.
Jay was laughing at me as I was freaking out trying to rescue them all before they were burnt up in the fire. It was a very exhausting weekend for me trying to avoid squashing one with every step I took. Since they spend most of their time in the trees eating the leaves they were literally falling out of the sky.
Aside from tripping over myself trying not to kill the creatures it was a great weekend. The weather was perfect for a camping trip and for the Saturday afternoon nap. We did a bit of hiking, saw tons of critters and the boys finally saw big horn sheep. Of course they were much more excited by the giant bumble bee flying around us.
Oh and tips for camping with small children:

The best part about camping is how quick and hard the boys crash out when we get home. This time, not so much for some reason. Thanks to Sport waking up at o'dark thirty this morning I almost had a heart attack and peed myself.
I heard him say he was thirsty and for whatever reason I got out of bed to talk to him. At no time during all this did I realise that Jay also got up. After girecting Sport to his cup I took to opportunity of being awake to use the potty. Because I don't use the restroom anymore, I go potty.
Well, did I mention the part where I thought Jay was still in bed? Yea, he wasn't. I stumbled around the corner, one eye half cracked open, and stepped into the still dark bathroom. About the same time Jay mumbled 'Hey' in his sleepy deep voice I noticed the big hulking shadow in the bathroom. And I Flipped.The.Fuck.Out.
I screamed like a little girl and tried to simultaneously jump six feet in the air and crouch down to hide behind some magic barrier of protection. This resulted in some sort of contortionistic leap backward and I'm surprised I didn't pull six muscles and fall over. Somehow I managed to make it back to my bed while laughing so hard I couldn't stand and my heart pounding like mad.
I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't said anything and instead I bumped into him? I can only imagine it would have been even funnier assuming I didn't just pass out. Somehow I still managed to get back to sleep after that. Clearly camping was good for me also.
Jay was laughing at me as I was freaking out trying to rescue them all before they were burnt up in the fire. It was a very exhausting weekend for me trying to avoid squashing one with every step I took. Since they spend most of their time in the trees eating the leaves they were literally falling out of the sky.
Aside from tripping over myself trying not to kill the creatures it was a great weekend. The weather was perfect for a camping trip and for the Saturday afternoon nap. We did a bit of hiking, saw tons of critters and the boys finally saw big horn sheep. Of course they were much more excited by the giant bumble bee flying around us.
Oh and tips for camping with small children:

The best part about camping is how quick and hard the boys crash out when we get home. This time, not so much for some reason. Thanks to Sport waking up at o'dark thirty this morning I almost had a heart attack and peed myself.
I heard him say he was thirsty and for whatever reason I got out of bed to talk to him. At no time during all this did I realise that Jay also got up. After girecting Sport to his cup I took to opportunity of being awake to use the potty. Because I don't use the restroom anymore, I go potty.
Well, did I mention the part where I thought Jay was still in bed? Yea, he wasn't. I stumbled around the corner, one eye half cracked open, and stepped into the still dark bathroom. About the same time Jay mumbled 'Hey' in his sleepy deep voice I noticed the big hulking shadow in the bathroom. And I Flipped.The.Fuck.Out.
I screamed like a little girl and tried to simultaneously jump six feet in the air and crouch down to hide behind some magic barrier of protection. This resulted in some sort of contortionistic leap backward and I'm surprised I didn't pull six muscles and fall over. Somehow I managed to make it back to my bed while laughing so hard I couldn't stand and my heart pounding like mad.
I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't said anything and instead I bumped into him? I can only imagine it would have been even funnier assuming I didn't just pass out. Somehow I still managed to get back to sleep after that. Clearly camping was good for me also.
Labels:
camping,
The things I do



OMG, lol!!!! Too funny! Sounds just like something I would do!!!
You always make me want to go camping... Minus the raining caterpillars... I can't go now! I have to wait a good year. I'll live vicariously through you in the meantime.
Yes, I like living vicariously through you on camping trips too. It reallly looks like fun, but I just can't brave the wilderness and a tent.
Thanks for the laughs.