Our final day in Breckenridge was one of my favorites. Clear blue skies and crisp cool air, perfect for a long hike. Mohawk Lakes was easily one of the most picturesque day-hikes I've ever been on. I shot 274 pictures during the hike but I promise I'm not posting them all.
We saw this little guy enjoying a snack at the trail head.
There is a whole lotta 'up' on this hike. The trail head is something like 9,500 feet and Upper Mohawk lake is around 12,000 feet. That's more than 10,000 feet higher than where I live.
A bit farther than half way we came to the ice covered Lower Mohawk lake. If you look closely you'll see a miner's cabin on the rocky area at the right of the photo. We only stopped for a couple photos because it was windy and cold. Turning the corner we were sheltered and much warmer so we stopped for a snack before making the final hike to the top.
With a final push we arrived at Upper Mohawk. My first sight of the lake was quite a surprise. As you hike up the final steep hill the lake just appears as you sort of come up from underneath it. If there was a bit more water in the lake our trail would have been a waterfall. I took this picture just at the end of the trail.
We found a spot and sat for a while enjoying the area before hiking around a little more. We had the place to ourselves but I am master of my camera's timer.
The view of Lower Mohawk Lake.
I love this picture of Jay.
And this one makes me feel about two feet tall.
Oh, and just a tip. If you are going to take a trip, it's not a good time to change your diet. Especially if you plan to eat Fiber One bars like they're candy bars. You might find yourself someplace you'd rather not be. Like at 12000 feet. In the snow. Far, far away from plumbing. Not that I'd know anything about that.
Less than 24 hours later we were much warmer in Moab, UT.
Part III in a few days.



My gosh! You take wonderful photographs!
Gorgeous photos.
Too bad about the Fiber One bars... they are ummmm... quite effective.