Good food makes me melt and turn all gooey inside. The smell, taste, and texture of a tomato, fresh from the vine, brings a smile to my face. I’m happy to eat it plain or add fresh basil and mozzarella then put in on a bit of toasted French bread. Simple, classic, and oh so good.

Complicated can also be a wonderful journey to the plate. Lots of ingredients, three different cooking methods, and way too many dishes, can all come together to create a colorful plate with intricately woven flavors.

In the life I used to live, before little boys, I rarely cooked. I could microwave burritos and make a mean turkey sandwich but not much beyond that. There was no way that kind of diet was going to work with children to feed. I started perusing recipes, trying what sounded good, and slowly learned to cook. Somewhere along the way I discovered that I truly enjoy it.

There are a few recipes that have made their way to the stack of favorites in our house and I thought I’d share one every now and then. If you try it I’d love to know how it turned out and what changes you may have made. Just because I like the recipe doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement.

Since I was talking with my mom about the weather turning cooler I figured the first recipe would be my mom’s chicken soup. Remedy for a child’s cold or a cloudy day. You’ll never resort to Campbell’s again.

Mom’s Chicken Soup

Ingredients:
1 whole roasting chicken
2-3 carrots, sliced
2-3 ribs celery, sliced
1 can evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed milk)
Salt, pepper, and whatever other seasonings you like.

For the noodles: (Because my mom is cool like that and makes her own. I just use a bag of egg noodles.)
5 eggs
flour

Ready for how easy this is?
Clean the chicken and remove that nasty junk they stuff in it. Put the chicken in a stock pot and cover with water. Boil it for about 45 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the pot. Add the veggies and seasonings.
Skin and de-bone the chicken. Shred the meat and put it back in the pot.
Simmer until the veggies are tender then add the evaporated milk.
Let it cook another 5-10 minutes and serve.

The soup really is better with the homemade noodles, it’s richer and thicker. If you want to make them here’s how:
While the chicken is cooking mix the eggs and flour until you reach a dough consistency.
Roll it out thin and cut noodles about ½ inch wide.
While the soup is boiling add noodles one at a time.

If you want to make your own chicken stock, which is incredibly easy, toss the bones in a bag and freeze them until you’re ready to use them.
Labels:
Kristine
edit post
2 Responses
  1. Susan Says:

    Thanks, I'm always looking for good recipes and have never found a truly good chicken noodle soup! Now, I have one!!


  2. Cristin Says:

    Wow. Sounds great. I'll have Hubs cook some up, he so much better at that stuff.. lucky me.


Post a Comment