Do you ever hear a song that takes you back to a certain place and time? Or smell some one's cologne, or a particular flower? My memory seems to be defined and enhanced by my senses. Tracy Chapman's CD, New Beginning, takes me right back to my room in Grand Cayman, where I would play the CD over and over again. I can remember vivid details about the room and what was going on in my life at the time.

Hot chocolate triggers memories of working the graveyard shift in valet during the winter months. From 1am to 7am I worked alone and the nights were long, cold, and boring. Just before sunrise I'd run to the cafeteria to get my morning cup of hot chocolate and take it back outside to watch the sunrise. Another hotel close-by had windows that were almost pink and would reflect the morning light to create the most brilliant and colorful sunrises. I'd watch, smiling, while warming my hands and belly with hot chocolate.

The way concrete smells after the rain takes me back to the summer days of my childhood. We'd spend the day playing in the sprinklers or in some one's pool to keep cool. When the water got too cold we'd lay down on the hot sidewalk to soak up the heat. A few minutes on each side and we were warm and dry. I still love that smell but it's not the same unless you're in the desert.

I started out writing a completely different post about my love of good food but here we are instead. What do you think of the new header?
Labels:
Kristine
edit post
2 Responses
  1. Cristin Says:

    Love the new header!

    I had a Kraft Caramel at work the other night and was taken back to my Great Grandmother's room like 30 years ago... I swear I could smell her!


  2. Susan Says:

    Love the new header!
    Cut grass is my memory smell.


Post a Comment