Actually, I do know how that happens, it's my attitude. I just have to figure out how to make it happen more often. The last couple of days I've felt so relaxed and I think part of that has to do with the house being clean and getting part way through this mess.

See that bit of floor? That's as far as we were able to get into the room before Sunday. Just enough to reach the pull chain on the fan.
I'm pretty embarrassed to put these pics up, especially when I don't have a pic of the after but, there it is. The cause of so much stress in my world. This room is our dumping ground, from the move, the wedding, camping, and life in general. I feel this room leaching out into the rest of the house and invading my space. The weight of it sits in the back of my brain bunched up in a little knot of irritation.
Jay and I spent quite a bit of time over the weekend getting it organized and contained. We are not close to done but we can see the floor, get to all five book cases, open the closet, and get to the window and my file cabinet. We bought a ton of plastic bins to help get things stored, put away, and out of cardboard boxes.
Relief. Calm. Quiet.
The quiet is not in my house, I do have boys after all, but it's in my brain. Now that the tight ball of nerves is mostly gone I have so much more room for more important things. Making a few minutes of time to read to the boys when we get home, making a fun project for them to learn and play with colors, including them in making dinner.
The boys clearly benefit from the extra attention and the whole thing is snowballed in a positive way. I love that Jay can home to a relaxed family instead of having to wrangle children and deal with a stressed out wife. Although he does both extremely well.
It's been a fantastic couple of days and I'm going to do my best to keep it going.
By the way, the cool and easy project for the boys was from Christianne at Little Page Turners. I found her blog recently and fell.in.love. She features and reviews different children's books and adds an activity or craft that goes with the theme of the book. Love it! We did the condiment colors last night and I want to try this, this, and I'm already checking into this.



Good for you! I know how fast it can get out of control and pile up. And I know how great it is to have an organized spot for everything. I have personally wanted to hire a professional organizer for our house. It is not my forte. :)
Oh, I so would have loved to come help you tackle that!! I think I missed my calling as a prof. organizer.... cleaning and organizing make me so happy.
Feel free to come on by Cristin. We aren't nearly done and have the whole garage to do. I'd hate to be the one to prevent you from having a good time!