I know. I haven’t posted in over two months and I choose the Oscars? Yup.

Jay watched most of the show while I was listening to a book, bouncing around the kitchen making dinner, and drinking my chai. After dinner and getting dressed for my run I finally got sucked in. Best Actor/Actress, best movie, and best director were the awards I was looking for.

I don’t take much stock in the awards themselves. There Will Be Blood won best picture and it was an awful movie. Hated it. The Hurt Locker took it this year. Good movie, sure. Best Picture, no chance. I like to people watch though and I always love a good story.

A couple thoughts on the categories I saw:

Did anyone else think Jeff Bridges was high? What was the crazy man doing?

I adore Sandra Bullock and am very happy she won, although I haven’t seen the movie. She is incredibly gracious, classy, and a wonderful actor. She also, quietly, donated 1 million dollars to the 911 fund and another million to the Indonesian Tsunami relief. Love her already but when she talked about giving thanks to women who take in children no matter where they came from…Seriously. Love her.

Oprah talks too much. I saw an interview after the show with her and the star of Precious (don’t know her name). She was going on and on about how great the girl is, and I agree, but she never let her speak. She was nominated for Best Actress, she could have, and should have, been able to shine on her own.

Seventy years ago the first African American was nominated for an award, and she won best supporting actress. There have only been four other black women to win that award since, including Mo’Nique last night. It took until 2001 for a black woman to win best actress, Halle Berry. The award for best director was first given in 1929. It took 80 years for a woman to win it, only four have been nominated. The director for ‘Precious’ is only the second African American to ever be nominated for the award. We haven’t come nearly far enough.
Labels:
Kristine
edit post
4 Responses
  1. greygillfish Says:

    GO SEE the BLIND SIDE! You will be so moved especially considering your family dynamic.! Maybe one of the best movies I have EVER seen because of the story line. I can't wait to see it again. Sandra's speech actually made me cry! I haven't been a huge fan of her movies, but loved her in The Proposal and The Blind Side. She seriously deserved it!


  2. greygillfish Says:

    Oh yeah, and WELCOME BACK!


  3. cristin Says:

    I agree about Sandra Bullock... total class act, and LOVED her dress.

    Oprah annoys the crap out of me, I almost turned the TV off when I saw her.

    Jeff Bridges may very well have been high, I don't care, he is just adorable and delightful and I'm sooooooo happy he won. I can't wait to see that movie.


  4. Kristine Says:

    There are so many movies out I haven't seen. I'm definatly going to see Blind Side and the Jeff Bridges one. Just need to wait for DVD. Oh and buying Avatar as soon as it comes out. That was awsome!


Post a Comment