Last night was the start of my seventh of nine weeks of the couch to 5k running program. It was a 25 minute run and I loved it. I still find it hard to believe I can even run for 25 minutes straight. That 25 minutes took me 2.3 miles with two hills. I was so proud after my run I could hardly stand to be in the same room with myself. During my cool down walk home I was a grinnin fool.

The run didn't start out fun, it takes way too long for my legs to warm up. Speaking of warming up, it was freaking cold last night. Two days ago I ran in shorts and a t-shirt and was almost too warm. Last night after leaving the house in pants and a long sleeve I got two houses down before running back for a jacket.

It took almost ten minutes for me to really feel warmed up and then it felt like flying. I was increasing my speed and felt I could have done more but did the smarter thing and stuck to my plan. The scale hasn't moved in two weeks but I feel my energy level increasing. My legs feel charged up, like they have springs in them. Feeling so good makes me want to run more and eat better, the best kind of snow ball.

All this running has me coveting new toys and work out clothes. I'll need more running shirts and shorts for the upcoming hot weather. A cute visor of course to keep the sun out of my eyes. Oh, I run at 8pm, but the visor is still cute. The thing I'm drooling over most is a garmin forerunner.

Combination gps and heart rate moniter. I'm a stats geek and love to see the numbers. How far, how fast, how long, where, heart rate, etc. I can plug it in to the computer and see graphs and charts and all the other fun things.

I've decided it's not in the budget right now but I'm hoping it will be by the time my half marathon comes along in December. It will be my reward for sticking with the running.

One thing I did buy was a Road ID bracelet. I wanted it because to me it's something else that says I'm on my way to being a 'runner' but for safety sake it just made sense. I usually run after dark, alone, and my shorts don't have a place for a phone. The Road ID has my name, emergency contact, and some health info. For $20 this was a no brainer. I also ordered them for Sport and Buddy. They will be great when we hike/camp or going to places like Disney or Sea World.

I ordered smalls for all of us understanding I would have to make some adjustments for the boys'. Well, Buddy's will have to be creatively stitched to make it fit. Sport on the other hand, we learned he has the same size wrist as I do. I'm no dainty little flower either, the boy is just big.
Labels:
Kristine
edit post
2 Responses
  1. Susan Says:

    Huge fan of the Road ID!
    Let me know when you get your Garmin.....I am interested too.


  2. Cristin Says:

    I have heard SO MUCH about this couch to 5K... I'm thinking it could maybe even work for this lazy, asthmatic, out of shape 37 year old. I wonder....


Post a Comment