There isn’t anything that spectacular about it. It’s not a $5000 road bike like Lance rides, but it’s not a Wal-Mart special either. I bought it about six or seven years ago with the money the other guy’s insurance company gave me to fix my bumper. The bumper wasn’t that bad and I needed a bike for a 575 mile charity ride.
I spent many hours at a time during training rides, pedaling up and down hills, navigating traffic, pushing myself, and generally enjoying a life with no other responsibilities for the moment except to move forward. Back then I rode for 4-10 hours at a time and it was hard but it was fantastic. Many of those rides I would be far from the city and could go for an hour without seeing a car or sometimes even another person. Just listening to my tires on the pavement and whatever was rambling through my brain.
So far this year I’ve spent about three hours on my bike, maybe less. I am far from capable of a 6 hour ride now but the little half hour I did last night was great. At this point in my life, when I can’t even go pee by myself, I really need to make time to ride my bike. To be alone, with my own thoughts, and for a short while not responsible for anyone or to anyone. I need to take Jay up on his many offers to watch the boys while I go do something. What I really wanted to do was be at home, alone. But I will happily take the time to ride my bike instead.
I spent many hours at a time during training rides, pedaling up and down hills, navigating traffic, pushing myself, and generally enjoying a life with no other responsibilities for the moment except to move forward. Back then I rode for 4-10 hours at a time and it was hard but it was fantastic. Many of those rides I would be far from the city and could go for an hour without seeing a car or sometimes even another person. Just listening to my tires on the pavement and whatever was rambling through my brain.
So far this year I’ve spent about three hours on my bike, maybe less. I am far from capable of a 6 hour ride now but the little half hour I did last night was great. At this point in my life, when I can’t even go pee by myself, I really need to make time to ride my bike. To be alone, with my own thoughts, and for a short while not responsible for anyone or to anyone. I need to take Jay up on his many offers to watch the boys while I go do something. What I really wanted to do was be at home, alone. But I will happily take the time to ride my bike instead.
Labels:
alone time,
bike



Post a Comment