I’m going back and forth between deciding to let people who know me IRL know that I started a blog. Typically, I’m a reserved and shy person until I’m comfortable. I’m not a social person either, I have a few close friends that I have know for years but not many others. There isn’t anything on my blog so far that my friends and family don’t know but what if I want there to be? But I don’t want to feel that I am keeping something from people I care about that I am sharing with complete strangers either.
The plus side is the Internet is a pretty amazing place in that I could be anyone here. I could really be an 85 year old man in India and no one would know the difference. That anonymity allows me to be something wonderful to me; truly and utterly Me. I think most people have different versions of themselves depending on the situation. I am a mom, a daughter, a girlfriend, a sister, a friend. All the same person, but with slight variations. Here I could just be Me. I won’t have to censor my words based on my mom reading the post. And I can have long rambling thoughts be outside my head without wondering if those thoughts would affect anyone I know. If I’m having a bad day or just need to vent I can without fear of hurting feelings by saying something I don’t really mean.
For now I think I will keep this blog just mine. A place to vent, to think ‘out loud’, to ramble on about nothing. Like my journal really, but in public.
The plus side is the Internet is a pretty amazing place in that I could be anyone here. I could really be an 85 year old man in India and no one would know the difference. That anonymity allows me to be something wonderful to me; truly and utterly Me. I think most people have different versions of themselves depending on the situation. I am a mom, a daughter, a girlfriend, a sister, a friend. All the same person, but with slight variations. Here I could just be Me. I won’t have to censor my words based on my mom reading the post. And I can have long rambling thoughts be outside my head without wondering if those thoughts would affect anyone I know. If I’m having a bad day or just need to vent I can without fear of hurting feelings by saying something I don’t really mean.
For now I think I will keep this blog just mine. A place to vent, to think ‘out loud’, to ramble on about nothing. Like my journal really, but in public.



Great post... and I totally agree, I battle with this myself.. several of my IRL family members know... but it makes me nervous to know who else may read.. I vent a lot!
Welcome to the OSB!!!
This is a struggle of mine too. I don't want to censor myself, but It's different IRL. I want to be completely free to be me on the internet. You said it well.
Yep, mine is anon for the most part... Leaks do get out here and there, BUT, I think it's best for me to keep it separate from my RL... It helps me stay sane to have somewhere to put it all out there without fearing who might read it.