I’ve been over the rest of my blog, editing, deleting, finishing up a few things and I’m happier with it now than I was. It didn’t take that long, my blog is still pretty new. Since I’ve deleted some posts this post is now my 100th and coincidently today is my one year anniversary. Go me! I wish I had some cool giveaway to do or something, but I don’t. You’re just going to have to put up with regular ol’ me.
Last night I was a jerk and I’m still irritated and frustrated by it. I yelled at the boys, Buddy in particular, for nothing more than acting their age. I couldn’t seem to keep hold of my patience and it finally left me completely. The day started out fine, work was normal, but somewhere along the way I decided it was going to be a great day at home with the boys. That is where I made my mistake.
My idea of a great day does not matter to a three year old or his four year old brother and is probably much different than their idea. Talking nice to each other, sharing, no climbing, sunshine and rainbows, all that didn’t really mean much last night but I decided somehow that is what we were going to have.
Of course when that got derailed by the first bout of crying over nothing I came unglued. Instead of redirecting myself and realizing ‘nothing’ to me is the end of the world to a dramatic four year old I got irritated and sent him to his room. That only makes his crying worse. I know that and yet did it anyway. I could have given him a hug, let him cry a little, and we probably would have been done for the night. But I didn’t.
About the fourth bout of crying I started yelling at him asking why he was still crying. Yea, that’s a good idea. Buddy can be dramatic but he is also very sensitive and I’m not good with dealing with either. So, continuing the theme of escalation I yelled at him, he freaked out more, I felt like a jackass so I yelled some more…You get the idea.
Oh yea, and trying to get Sport to tell me why he was climbing on the dresser is an exercise in futility and yet there I was. The answer is always ‘because.’
Don’t tell me because.
I don’t know.
Don’t tell me I don’t know.
Shrugs shoulders.
Don’t shrug your shoulders.
Because.
Grrr.
Hello? Is there an adult in the room? Stop trying to get a real answer out of a three year old. He was climbing on the dresser because it’s fun to jump off it.
I feel like an idiot when things go that way. When it’s happening I can see six other ways to better handle the situation but in my frustration I ignore my smarter side. It’s me that makes the whole thing into a big mess and I want to kick myself after nights like that. Screw any plans for tonight, its movie night!
Last night I was a jerk and I’m still irritated and frustrated by it. I yelled at the boys, Buddy in particular, for nothing more than acting their age. I couldn’t seem to keep hold of my patience and it finally left me completely. The day started out fine, work was normal, but somewhere along the way I decided it was going to be a great day at home with the boys. That is where I made my mistake.
My idea of a great day does not matter to a three year old or his four year old brother and is probably much different than their idea. Talking nice to each other, sharing, no climbing, sunshine and rainbows, all that didn’t really mean much last night but I decided somehow that is what we were going to have.
Of course when that got derailed by the first bout of crying over nothing I came unglued. Instead of redirecting myself and realizing ‘nothing’ to me is the end of the world to a dramatic four year old I got irritated and sent him to his room. That only makes his crying worse. I know that and yet did it anyway. I could have given him a hug, let him cry a little, and we probably would have been done for the night. But I didn’t.
About the fourth bout of crying I started yelling at him asking why he was still crying. Yea, that’s a good idea. Buddy can be dramatic but he is also very sensitive and I’m not good with dealing with either. So, continuing the theme of escalation I yelled at him, he freaked out more, I felt like a jackass so I yelled some more…You get the idea.
Oh yea, and trying to get Sport to tell me why he was climbing on the dresser is an exercise in futility and yet there I was. The answer is always ‘because.’
Don’t tell me because.
I don’t know.
Don’t tell me I don’t know.
Shrugs shoulders.
Don’t shrug your shoulders.
Because.
Grrr.
Hello? Is there an adult in the room? Stop trying to get a real answer out of a three year old. He was climbing on the dresser because it’s fun to jump off it.
I feel like an idiot when things go that way. When it’s happening I can see six other ways to better handle the situation but in my frustration I ignore my smarter side. It’s me that makes the whole thing into a big mess and I want to kick myself after nights like that. Screw any plans for tonight, its movie night!
Labels:
Parenting



Don't wear yourself out over it. It happens to all of us. At least you realized your frustrations and can correct the problem next time.
Have a better day today. :)