My older brother has always been a trickster. Not many things give him more pleasure than a well played practical joke. He was over for dinner the other night and we were regaling Jay with pranks of the past. Being five years younger than my brother kept me from most of his plots when we were kids. There was one time though.
When I was about six, I had a bear keychain I cherished. I was heartbroken when I lost it and my stinker of a brother used that to get me. He came into my room one day and announced he’d found my bear. There was a condition to getting it back of course. He said he’d put it in the tree in the back yard and I had twenty seconds to get it.
Pshaw, twenty seconds. No problem. I was ready. I gripped the door frame to better launch myself from the room. When he said, ‘Go!’ I was off like a shot. In my head I was already clutching my beloved bear to my chest with a victorious grin.
I tore down the hall like an Olympic sprinter and rounded the corner to the living room. What luck, the back door was already open. Out the door and across the porch, target in sight.
In the next instant I was sliding across the backyard on my face, confused and completely surprised. My brother was not. The little shit had tied a piece of twine between two posts on the porch. I never saw it.
The fat lip and cut on my ankle didn’t upset me. I knew his pranks were never meant to hurt anyone. Besides, he got in enough trouble when our mom got home. The part that bothered me…he never had my little bear. Bastard.
When I was about six, I had a bear keychain I cherished. I was heartbroken when I lost it and my stinker of a brother used that to get me. He came into my room one day and announced he’d found my bear. There was a condition to getting it back of course. He said he’d put it in the tree in the back yard and I had twenty seconds to get it.
Pshaw, twenty seconds. No problem. I was ready. I gripped the door frame to better launch myself from the room. When he said, ‘Go!’ I was off like a shot. In my head I was already clutching my beloved bear to my chest with a victorious grin.
I tore down the hall like an Olympic sprinter and rounded the corner to the living room. What luck, the back door was already open. Out the door and across the porch, target in sight.
In the next instant I was sliding across the backyard on my face, confused and completely surprised. My brother was not. The little shit had tied a piece of twine between two posts on the porch. I never saw it.
The fat lip and cut on my ankle didn’t upset me. I knew his pranks were never meant to hurt anyone. Besides, he got in enough trouble when our mom got home. The part that bothered me…he never had my little bear. Bastard.
Labels:
Family



WOW, I really need to meet your brother. We would get along great. I love pranking people. We have this rubber, squishy rat toy at the lake house. Every time someone new comes, I sneak it into their bed so when they slide into the bed in the dark, they get a great surprise. It works like a charm. HA! I have been known to prank a few people in my time. :)
Brother's are ass holes. Just ask Dottie.
I need to get a rat toy! We tried something like that at my sister's house once. While my mom and I were putting the 'snakes' in my sister's bed her dog was peeing on mine.